Edublog Assignment #3

screenshot-2016-11-03-at-9-04-15-am

I live in Oakland California. The neighborhood i grew up in has been full of violence. Me as a person i am very calm, respect full, and very good and general. As a son i might be a handful sometimes but i try my best to be a good kid and person in general. An assigned identity was being born in the U.S because my mom wanted to have me in the U.S because i could have been born in Mexico.

To begin with a dominant narrative is something that people with power say about people with no power. For example one picture i put was about my city and that there is a lot of violence and police brutality and that’s not all true because if you go down to lake merritt it’s really nice. This image can affect how people feel because if they hear that oakland is unsafe than will want to leave because they are scared that something might happen to them.

Another kind of narrative is a counter narrative. A counter narrative is an argument that disputes a commonly held belief or truth. These beliefs often relate to cultures, people and even institutions. Some images i used were about where i live and people say a lot of bad things about my city and my city is not that bad so i don’t know what they be talkin bout. This makes me mad because people who say oakland is bad and violent,don’t even live in oakland

Also if you don’t know what identity or identity images are then ill tell you identity is the fact of being who or what a person or thing is. Identity image are images that represent who you are. A couple identity images that i chose were about sports because i like sports i also have an image of oakland because it represents where i am from. these images make me feel good because i am proud to show them.

In conclusion i think people see me as a normal person becasue i dont have anything crazy on my shadow box. If people really knew me they would know that i am a pretty chill and relaxed person i dont like getting into conflict or anything like that. I think it is important to correct people about your domminant narrative with a counter narrative so it does not sound as bad.